Unit 6 The Value of Money
Teaching Children to Spend Pocket Money Wisely
① School-going children need pocket money for food, stationery and bus fares. Parents give pocket money to their children in different ways. Some give a lump sum at the beginning of a month or a week. Others prefer to give pocket money on a daily basis. (1)The way in which pocket money is given affects how money is spent or saved.(承上启下的句子) On the other hand, the children's spending habits may affect how pocket money is given.
② (2)Pocket money given on a daily basis is sometimes termed as "food money". Children usually use the pocket money to buy food during recess and also at lunch hour if they have school activities in the afternoon. They learn how to manage small sums of money. As the money is limited, they have to control their spending.(承上启下的句子)(3)Some parents choose this method of allocating pocket money in order to prevent their children from overspending, hoping that in time they can be trusted with larger sums of money. Parents who earn daily wages may also opt for this due to financial constraints.(承上句)
1. The way in which pocket money is given affects how money is spent or saved.
(1) the way (in which / that) sb. does sth. (参考Unit 2，Text A)
the way (in which / that) sth. is done
(2) 句子的主干是：The way affects how money is spent or saved.
2. Pocket money given on a daily basis is sometimes termed as "food money".
(1) given on a daily basis 过去分词短语作定语
(2) be termed as 被称为…
3. Some parents choose this method of allocating pocket money in order to prevent their children from overspending, hoping that in time they can be trusted with larger sums of money.
(1) 句子的主干是Some parents choose this method in order to prevent their children from overspending.
prevent sb. from doing sth.与keep sb. from doing sth. 相同，但前者from可以省略，后者不能省略。
(2) hoping that…伴随状语，相当于in the hope that…"怀着……的希望"
(3) in time: sooner or later, eventually 迟早，最后
You will learn how to do it in time. 你迟早会能学会做这件事的。
(4) trust …with…把……托付给…… (参考Unit 3，Text B)
③ Giving pocket money on a daily basis places responsibilities of budgeting on the parents, instead of the child. (4)The child may spend every single cent of the daily pocket money by overindulging in junk food as they know they will get another sum of money the next day. This results in children being shortsighted in their spending. The thought of saving money never crossed their minds. (承上启下的句子) They may develop the mentality that money is meant to be spent.(承上句)Others spend more than they are given. They borrow from their siblings or their classmates when they feel like indulging themselves. Then they may ask for money to pay off their debts. (5)This habit of borrowing causes them to depend on others to solve their problems.(承上启下的句子) In such instances, the purpose of rationing is defeated.
4. The child may spend every single cent of the daily pocket money by overindulging in junk food as they know they will get another sum of money the next day. 孩子知道第二天还能得到一笔零花钱，因而会花光每一分钱，暴食垃圾食品。
5. This habit of borrowing causes them to depend on others to solve their problems.
(1) cause sb. to do sth.
(2) depend / rely on sb. to do sth.
类似用法的结构：wait for sb. to do sth.
call on sb. to do sth.
look to sb. to do sth. / for sth. 指望某人做某事
【单选题】10. His complete ______ on his parents made them very disappointed. He decided to encourage him to be _______ of them.
A. independent, dependent
B. independence, dependent
C. dependence, independence
D. dependence, independent
④ Children need to learn how to budget their money. Some parents go by the "learing by doing" principle and give their children lump sums at the beginning of the month, and by the third week of the month their account is already dry.
⑤ On the other hand, some learn to budget their pocket money very well and even have savings at the end of the month. They do not borrow money unnecessarily. In other words, they learn to spend within their means. (6)The key to doing this is to differentiate between needs and wants. (7)Buy the necessary first, and indulge ourselves only if there is money left. (承上启下的句子) (8)This habit, when inculcated since young, stands them in good stead when they start working and earning their own money. It enables them to resist the temptation of "buy now and pay later" schemes.(承上总结的句子)
6. The key to doing this is to differentiate between needs and wants. 做到这一点的关键是区分必须的和想要的。
(1) the key to (doing) sth.
(2) differentiate between A and B和differ from…的不同： 前者意为"区分A和B"后者意为"与……不同"
注意同根词：differ A differs from B …
different A is different from B
difference the difference between A and B
differentiate differentiate between A and B
7. Buy the necessary first, and indulge ourselves only if there is money left.
(1) only if 只有在……的情况下
注意区分if only 要是……就好了 If only I were a free bird flying in the sky.
(2) there is money left. 钱有剩余。
8. This habit, when inculcated since young, stands them in good stead when they start working and earning their own money. 当他们开始工作赚钱，年幼时受到谆谆教诲而养成的习惯就会使他们受益。
(1) inculcate sth. in/into sb. / inculcate sb. with sth. 向某人灌输……，用……教育某人
inculcate in young people a respect for the law = inculcate young people with a respect for the law向年轻人反复灌输法制的思想
(2) stand sb. in good stead: be beneficial to sb.
【单选题】11. I'm willing to lend you some money _______ you promise you will repay me next week.
C. only if
D. if only
【解析】本题考查only if和if only的区别。only if是条件句的强调形式，意为"只有在……的情况下";if only 意为"要是……就好了"，用于虚拟语气，故选C。句意为"只要你承诺下周还我，我愿意借给你钱。"
【知识点】only if和if only的区别
⑥ Formation of any habit starts at a tender age(幼年). (9)There is no better way to teach children to manage money than to start with their pocket money. They need to learn the importance of budgeting right from kindergarten days. It is a good idea to start with daily pocket money and move on to monthly pocket money.(承上启下的句子) When children learn to spend within their means, they are able to manage their finances well later in their lives.
9. There is no better way to teach children to manage money than to start with their pocket money.
否定词和比较级连用相当于最高级。本句相当于：To start with their pocket money is the best way to teach children to manage money.
再如：There is nothing better than having a cold drink on a hot summer afternoon.
I cannot agree with you more.
I cannot care less.
His words cannot be more inspiring.
【单选题】12. I benefited a lot from his words. In fact, his words _______.
A. encouraged no more
B. couldn't be more encouraging
C. not more encouraging
D. couldn't be more encouragement
【解析】本题考查"否定词+比较级"。本句选择B，His words couldn't be more encouraging.相当于His words were the most encouraging."他的话太鼓舞人了。"D选项中词性使用错误，应该用形容词encouraging而不是名词encouragement作表语。